Over the last (too many!) years at this time I’ve (we’ve) re-focused on health and fitness as part of my New Year goals. With many others I’ve utilized the Livestrong™ health apps to track my progress and try and get in better shape. Recently Livestrong™ have updated their offerings to include a full workout and eating plan tailored to your goals and importantly for us, they have a full bore vegetarian eating plan in the offerings. The workouts are on-line videos and are about half an hour each and really burn the calories. They are hosted by an English ex pro footballer, Nicky Holender, and are a lot of fun.
For almost the first time in our lives we are following the plan exactly and did a week’s shopping up front–what a task that was!
This is day 5 of our journey and I must say I feel and see a difference already. Its challenging but lots of fun and nice to have someone tell you what to eat for each meal!
The photo at the top of the page is a screen shot of my eating for breakfast today and shows how easy it is to enter and track all your meals and workouts. Scary!
We’ll post some more thoughts as we progress with the plan over the next month or so.
January 19, 2014
The end of week two on the plan. Funny only seems like 2 months!
- I’ve managed to lose 5 inches in the 2 weeks, mainly from the waist
- The auld adage of ‘energy in, energy out” really holds true. If you put fewer calories into your body than you take out through exercise then you will lose fat. The body has to turn to burning the fat stores to feed the exercise demand
- The workouts are very challenging and I’ve tended to do them about 4 days a week instead of the 6 recommended. I find I need some more time between workouts to recover–particularly around my challenged right knee
- Some of the meal suggestions have had to be altered to make them more to our taste and this seems to be working well
- We found doing the shopping for the week was not really practical for us, and resulted in a lot waste–fruit going off etc. We’re now getting supplies a couple of days ahead which is much more manageable
All in all we’re very pleased with the results and now that we’re in the swing of the plan it seems pretty easy to follow. Onward to the next 2 weeks!