Located in Tiverton, not far from our temporary thatched-roof cottage, Knightshayes Court represents yet another National Trust location where we spent a happy few hours. The Trust acquired the estate in 1973 after the death of its owner Sir John Heathcoat-Amory. His forefather, John Heathcoat, inventor of an innovative lace production machine, originally chose the site for its view of his plant — the largest lace-manufacturing facility in the world at the end of the nineteenth century.
Located near Helston, England in the county of Cornwall, Godolphin holds one of the area’s previously most productive tin mines with a 400-year history – and now classified as one of Cornwall’s Mining World Heritage sites. The grounds include 550 acres of land, an historic house with ancient formal gardens (both from the 16th century), and stables (from the early 17th century). The family pioneered the use of gunpowder to open up the rich mines in the 1690’s.
A castle has existed for over 1,000 years at the top of a hill in Dunster Village, near Minehead, England in the west county of Somerset — initially as a Saxon fortress and later a country house in the Victorian era. The oldest surviving part of earlier buildings is the 13th century gateway. The view from the top of the grounds is the Bristol Channel and across to Wales.